1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

1 yr. old hen: wobbly, very dry skin and losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by messianicmom, Oct 12, 2012.

1. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    This morning we noticed, all of a sudden, our hen ,named Bee-Bee; having trouble walking. She also has been losing weight, but that may be due to finally beginning to lay eggs-don't know if it's related. Anyway, her skin looks awful and it's flaky. Her feathers are breaking and some are falling out.

Any advice?

Rachel

2. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    I would check for lice. They can eat a chicken alive if they aren't found/ treated. Check under their chin, belly, under their wings, around their vent and their stomach. If she does have lice you will either see bugs scurry away from view or eggs at the base of their feathers. Also check her stool for internal parasites like worms. Here is what lice eggs look like. Hope she gets better soon!

lice eggs at the base of the feathers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. messianicmom

messianicmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2009
    Can lice cause trouble walking?

Is,DE sufficient enough to rid them?

Thanks.

4. dracoe19

dracoe19 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2011
    Warrenton, Virgina
    It can. My friend had a hen with lice that she didn't even realize had it until she could barely walk anymore. The best way to treat them is Permethrin 10. Kills them instantly and you can spray it on their bedding, coop and placing they walk around a lot. Best stuff in my opinion to get rid of external parasites.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by