1 yr old Silkie Bantam Broody or Sick?

Nedy

In the Brooder
May 8, 2016
My little Silkie lays between 3 and 4 eggs a wk... laid one today so she's not egg bound. And I collect them every day. It's been in the 90's everyday, and in the past four weeks I have added four chicks thkat are almost her size now. Sometimes she just stops pecking around for food and it almost seems like she's going to sleep on her feet. Her head droops but she still standing. Like a trance. Is this broody behavior? Bowel movements are good she eats and drinks, but not with the Vigor she used to. Should I be concerned? Is it too hot for her? I'm a newbie. She was my first chicken.

It doesn't sound like broody behavior. She does sound off, but what could be the problem is hard to determine without more symptoms. It could be the heat. Make sure she has shade and lots of fresh cold clean water.

It doesn't sound like broody behavior. She does sound off, but what could be the problem is hard to determine without more symptoms. It could be the heat. Make sure she has shade and lots of fresh cold clean water.
Thank you for your reply, yes it is odd behavior and because she's eating and drinking and has formed stools and she's not wheezing or anything like that , i'm going to assume it's the heat, she still acting off this morning in the cool of the morning. Yes she has lots of shade and cool water all day. I even sprayed the chicken yard down when they're free ranging in the yard, and before I put them back in particularly their favorite resting places.

Is it possible that a chicken would act that way if they ate something mildly toxic? Who knows what they're eating when they're out in my gardens I have lots and lots of flowers

Is it possible that a chicken would act that way if they ate something mildly toxic? Who knows what they're eating when they're out in my gardens I have lots and lots of flowers
It could be. Another thing with silkies is if they received any pecks to their heads it can cause brain damage, especially if it has a domed skulls. Silkie skulls are a bit more tender than a normal chicken, so when pecked it can cause damage which will cause slow off behaviors. So I wonder if she got pecked by the new ones.

Another thought is the new ones gave her a slight illness that she is fighting.

Back
Top Bottom