1 yr old Welsummer was "missing" for 5 days, now is back??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by looptloop, Jun 12, 2011.

1. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Could she be broody sitting on eggs out somewhere? She came back very hungry and weak, doing a lot of scratching and fluffing of her feathers. She was always my 'talker' and she was doing a strange shrill-like talk.

I thought I would dust her and put her in with my 12 week olds to make sure she doesn't leave again.

What could this be?

2. FarmCoe

FarmCoe Flock Mistress

May 22, 2010
    Planet Earth
    In my opinion, she's probably sitting on eggs somewhere.

I could be wrong, though

3. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    sounds like broody behavior. Maybe you can let her out but follow her.

4. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Urg! She is gone again! I came in to make her a scrambled egg and then could not find her again! She was here for 30 minutes. I've looked everywhere within the range that she would have usually gone. She must be sitting on eggs somewhere. I'm hoping I can follow her, I'd be glad to put some 1 day olds under her if I could find her.....

5. SIMPleChick

SIMPleChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Utah
    she is probably on eggs but hungry or thirsty too, I'd try to find her and give her food and water close to her if you can...

6. looptloop

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    Fun update! I found her sitting on 15 eggs!!!! I took them from her though because I was afraid she was going to get eaten sitting out there! She is back with the flock doing well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by