10,000 Hawks in New Hampshire this weekend

thomasboyle

Songster
7 Years
Feb 28, 2013
NW Hills of CT
I heard on the news today that hawks are beginning their southern migration, and bird counters in Concord NH counted 10,000 hawks over the weekend! Bad news for chicken owners in NH, MA, CT and NY who are on their path south! Just thought I would post as a warning to those along the flight path - keep an eye on the skies and it may be a good time to cut back on free ranging until they are past.

I don't know where your news program gets its information. I am active in the hawk-watch program in NH, and I can tell you the big push of migrants (where we see hundreds or even more in a day) was over in Sept. We are now seeing mostly accipiters (Sharp-shinned and Coopers Hawks mostly) and some falcons. The watch site closest to me saw just over 100 birds on Saturday. None yesterday as it poured rain all day. If you want to follow the numbers, go to: www.hawkcount.org

It was our local CBS affiliated AM radio station. I guess the news just likes to inflate the numbers... how many people did they say are happy with the Federal Government?

I hade Broad shouldered hawks pass over my place for a week by the 100's they were off their migration path because hurricane ike had threw them off according to the birders.

None of them dropped in for lunch but they sure had the local hawks in a huff and none of my birds would come out in the open for the entire week.

Back
Top Bottom