10-2-10 Lewiston, Maine Chickenstock (not just for chickens)

Discussion in 'Chickenstocks, Shows, Meet-Ups' started by spook, Sep 10, 2010.

1. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Saturday October 2, 2010 8 am until 12 noon (you can stay later)
    [​IMG] Chickenstock (not just for chickens) [​IMG]
    Tractor Supply Co. 1619 LISBON ST LEWISTON ME 04240
    (207) 795-8828

All animals are welcome for Swap, Sell and Share!
    [​IMG] This is going to be a new experience at the Lewiston TSC !

[​IMG] Hope to see you there! [​IMG]

Please, no processing, neutering and we are asked to clean up our litter, shavings and manure.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2010
  2. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    OK so I am new to this??? - Do I just show up with my chickens or do I need to sign up?

3. spook

Just show up. It will be great to meet you! This is the first event at the Lewiston Tractor Supply, they are excited about it too.
    Sometimes folks will talk about what they are bringing to offer or ask what others are bringing. For example I'll be bringing lots of papers to read (free), No farms No food stickers and a few BYC stickers. I enjoy talking with people, show off Scooter, our mascot. I may be bringing 3 Bantam Cochin Cockerels according to how they mature by then. At this point they are skiddish and not as friendly as I like. [​IMG]

4. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    do folks bringing birds need to be NPIP or have birds that come from NPIP flocks? i know i am NPIP for my parent birds but i just wanted to double check on that since some of my younger birds haven't gone through their first time getting tested/tagged and i need to downsize before their winter move.

5. spook

Chickie'sMoma :

do folks bringing birds need to be NPIP or have birds that come from NPIP flocks? i know i am NPIP for my parent birds but i just wanted to double check on that since some of my younger birds haven't gone through their first time getting tested/tagged and i need to downsize before their winter move.

~No, birds do not need to be in the NPIProgram. Its great if your birds are Typhoid & Pollorum tested to keep these diseases out of US.
    The only time you need to have tested birds is at a fair/show.

~The only stipulations are that at public events in Maine you have to sell any birds under 8 weeks old in lots of 6, above the 8 weeks, they can go one at a time. Now, from your house or farm you can sell singular birds of any age.
    ~You must purchase 6 from the one family the chicks are raised in, not 1 bird here, 1 bird there. (I believe its the pecking order and younger chicks could be harmed)

~I tell folks that if they wish to purchase birds like that, exchange information and then when your ready for the bird to go, do it privately. Also, I encourage folks to bring birds to show the different types of birds, more of an educational view to people. Of course in the spring when we begin hatching eggs again, give them a call, sell eggs or take orders.

~Bring hatching/eating eggs with you, people do like to buy fresh eggs.

~I understand downsizing! Its been one of our goals, especially where I'm hatching eggs this fall for spring shows! I'm really stupid! [​IMG]
    Thanks for asking questions!​

6. Chickie'sMoma

Chickie'sMoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Rochester, NH
    thanks for letting me know! i've been curious how they do them up thar in ME! [​IMG] i really wish i could head up for this swap but dh and i will be working at a flea market in York on saturdays and it's tough for me to sneak away for swaps on those days. [​IMG]

they just opened a TSC over in Sanford. has anyone thought about asking that location for future swaps yet?

7. spook

Ah, bummer. We will have more, don't worry!

8. stano40

stano40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Southern Maine
    Sanford TSC - Yes I have been working with the coordinator there to put on a farm day for the 2011 year.

I'm trying to formulate everything needed to present to TSC and get the ball rolling there.

The coordinator there took my name and email address as a contact.

I'm going to try and make it up to the Lewiston swap but not sure if I'll make it. If I do I might bring a couple of goats to sell. One's a wether pygmy.

bob

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  9. spook

Nice Stano, if you cannot make it up to ours, we would be glad to come to yours !

I'm curious if anyone has the Mille Fleur Bearded D'uccle, look for a nice rooster to go with my hens, may be selling the rooster that I do have. He has to much black on his head and need fresh roo for next year.

Have a super day all!!!

10. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Quote:YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! For Sanford!! Southern Maine needs one!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by