10 Baby Wood Ducks (1st thought they were Mallards)

Pics
This is now her job. The only thing under her is a wooden egg. Isn't she beautiful?!

nesting.jpg

Last edited:
Often at dusk, I find the ducks still hanging out in the back pen, a fully-fenced area where they have their "swimming hole" and can enjoy the great outdoors. It's attached to one of my little coops, so I need to get them into the protected run/coop areas and lock up the door for the night. So, I herd them. Here's how it went last night.

Today, they were hiding under the coops when I opened up the back area and filled their "swimming hole." One brave girl went out to enjoy the scratch and water, while the rest still hovered inside. I have no idea what they might have seen as scary. They typically overcome it pretty quickly, and they're probably already outside.

Bought a new kiddie pool for the babies. It might take a day or two before they're brave enough to go swimming. It's nice and deep so they can do some fun diving. I think they'll love it!

I put some large paving blocks on the side in case a chicken falls in. Do you think that's enough or should I ask DH to build a little ramp?
20200512_191543.jpg

Back
Top Bottom