10 Cornish X eggs in the incubator!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Luvmybob, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Luvmybob

Luvmybob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    I posted this in the incubation section of the site but no one responded, I bought 6 cornish x this past March. we culled two and they were huge and delicious. I wanted to see if I could raise some myself but after much reading I wasn't sure they even laid eggs, boy was I wrong. Not only did I find their eggs here and there, some were actually fertilized! The roo was to be culled the day I actually saw the X lay an egg, so we held off, lucky fella! So I gathered my 3 pullets and one cornish x roo in a pen by themselves, oh I have to mention they were 100% free range with a cup of food thrown on the ground. I have consistently gotten 2-3 eggs everyday. Shocking! so I rotated roos, because my X is a giant, wasn't sure if he could do the "deed" but I know my rir roo can.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone had luck with this? I candled one X egg this morning, 4 days in the incubator and I saw a baby!

My daughter is actually using my experiment as hers for her agricultural science project. Her teacher is interested.

Any advice is welcomed! God bless!
    Dana

2. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    [​IMG]

The front three eggs are Cornish X, light colored, the three back eggs , darker are my RIR and buff Orpingtons. I've gotten some double yolk from my X's.

3. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    I just hatched out three Cornish x babies from my meat birds that I got this past spring and let mature. They are cute![​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Nice pictures, Luvmybob, I wonder how they will turn out. I kind of want to do the same thing. I thought of mixing the hens with a White Plymouth Rock. They get big too. Keep us in the loop on their growth rate and how they are doing week by week. This is interesting stuff and I want to keep the thread going. [​IMG]

5. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Cute! I can't wait to see how they grow!

6. Luvmybob

Jul 14, 2009
    Florida
    That sounds good. I will post a new picture of them every Saturday. They aren't any bigger than their hatch mates, but the feathers are coming in and are white. I don't know why, but I thought they would be a different color. Thanks for responding y'all!

7. JessicaThistle

JessicaThistle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2014
    Oregon
    Subscribing!!

8. DLCShark

DLCShark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm subbing as well.

9. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    I'm curious to see how this goes.

Just a note, what you're hatching out aren't CornishX. CornishX are a hybrid, and you're going to have some traits that are like the parents, and some that aren't. You MAY be able to fix the traits you want, and if so, you'll have something really useful.

10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

I am interested too. I am going to keep 3 of my current batch for this also.

If i cannot get a good cx from the cx's i plan to cross with a. Large production red. Or dixie rainbow...

You are doing what i want to. But are 8 months ahead of me,,
    Good luck

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by