10 day old chick laying down in odd position???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jcamardo, May 6, 2009.

1. jcamardo

jcamardo Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2009
    Williamson, ny
    I have a 10 day old Australorp pullet. Sometimes she lies down on her side with her legs stretched out. Just the way a dog would lie down. Other than that she seems active and healthy but very skittish compared to my Amaberlink chick who is very friendley. Should I be worried?
    Thanks Janine

2. kannm

kannm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Our baby chicks would fall asleep that way! At first we freaked out and thought they were dead. I think she will be ok.

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

It's normal [​IMG]

4. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    There are no strange sleeping positions for baby chicks. It's pretty much wherever they drop.

5. bethandjoeync

bethandjoeync Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2009
    Iron Station, NC
    is she attempting to dust bathe?

6. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    lol i was just gonna put a video of my black chicken doing that exact same thing! I guess it is just her behavior and how she prefers to lay! Today I caught her laying on her back and she was perfectly fine! She just loves to scratch around like my dog and try to find the most comfortable spot and will lay there like on her side with her legs sticking straight out! [​IMG] Silly hen!

7. KareyABohr

KareyABohr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Mine do the same thing! Then act very VERY disgruntled when I make them get up to make sure they are fine!

I liken it to a teen sunbathing. They lay in ackward positions in order not to get tan lines! LOL

8. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    chicken sunbathing is so fun! they just melt into a heap wherever the sun hits them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by