10 day old chick sick- could it be a yolk infection?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by clkingtx, Sep 29, 2010.

1. clkingtx

clkingtx Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2009
    Hello,

I have a 10 day old naked neck(cross) that is not doing well. He seems like it is all he can do to breathe. He is working very hard at it, isn't running around, or doing anything else. All the other chicks seem fine and vigorous. I have had vitamins in their water constantly. They are eating medicated chick crumbles, 15% protein. He was fine last night, then sick today. I have him separated from the other chicks, and he doesn't even seem to notice. If I pick him up, he will chirp, some. All poop seems normal. I want to give him the best chance, but I am brooding for someone else, and don't have a ton of time to give him.

I had heard that sometimes chicks get infections in their yolk sac that can make them sick up to a week or two after hatch. My main concern is possible contagion. I was planning to keep some of these chicks and adding them to our layers when they are big enough. If this is an illness that they could give our older girls, I can't risk it. If it is something particular to that one chick, that is different. Anyone have some similar experience? What would you do?

Thanks,
    Carrie

2. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    if he doesn't eat soon you'll have your own answer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by