10 day old Chicks Scratching Their Head/Ears

momma chickie

Songster
6 Years
May 6, 2016
I have 2 chicks in a brooder box with a lamp and small floor heat pad. I noticed starting today both are scratching at the sides of their heads a lot. They don't seem in pain or distressed. I took a close look at one and couldn't see anything...no mites or anything irritated looking.
I did take them out in the yard where there was weeds and grasses today...I cant imagine they both would be allergic...It has been very dry and windy. They are just starting to feather out...I have other chicks outside and none of them seem to have this problem...any suggestions on what I can do?
Was thinking of dusting with DE just incase it was mites but not sure how to safely do that.
One is a SS and the other is a Welsummer.

Attachments

• 20200608_170047.jpg
    20200608_170047.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 19
My daughter found something that said dry hot air can cause itching. With heat lamp and dry weather I am thinking that could be it. Massaged a little avocado oil...seemed to help...will do again tomorrow.

I have 2 chicks in a brooder box with a lamp and small floor heat pad. I noticed starting today both are scratching at the sides of their heads a lot. They don't seem in pain or distressed. I took a close look at one and couldn't see anything...no mites or anything irritated looking.
I did take them out in the yard where there was weeds and grasses today...I cant imagine they both would be allergic...It has been very dry and windy. They are just starting to feather out...I have other chicks outside and none of them seem to have this problem...any suggestions on what I can do?
Was thinking of dusting with DE just incase it was mites but not sure how to safely do that.
One is a SS and the other is a Welsummer.
Hello there momma chickie. I am curious to how the scratching resolved. Was it perhaps that your chickies were starting to grow feathers?
Take care. ‘Nita

Hello there momma chickie. I am curious to how the scratching resolved. Was it perhaps that your chickies were starting to grow feathers?
Take care. ‘Nita
Hi Nita. I hadn't thought of that! We used a little olive oil thinking it could have been dry skin from the heat lamp...it did improve and after a bit it was not an issue. So, you may have a thought there but I would have expected more comments that others experienced the same thing.
Shortly after we removed heat and kept them outside in our nursery pen to play all day, bringing them in at night. It was quite warm so they did fine without additional heat and are now thriving little pullets holding their own with big girls outside.

Hi Nita. I hadn't thought of that! We used a little olive oil thinking it could have been dry skin from the heat lamp...it did improve and after a bit it was not an issue. So, you may have a thought there but I would have expected more comments that others experienced the same thing.
Shortly after we removed heat and kept them outside in our nursery pen to play all day, bringing them in at night. It was quite warm so they did fine without additional heat and are now thriving little pullets holding their own with big girls outside.
How lovely! Mine are in the in between stage.. still little tufts if fluff but they have a lot more feathers now...and of course testing out the little wings and getting quite a bit of height when they fly...nit to mention how their little peeps are starting to surrender to more of a broken cluck sound. Take care momma chickie

Back
Top Bottom