10 day old chicks with poopie clingons?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gemoriah, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Gemoriah

Gemoriah Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    My Coop
    We got 10 chicks from the feed store and 1 or 2 have poop clinging on to their rears. Is it something that will pass or is it something I need to treat them for? I was wondering if maybe DE would help.

Thank you for your help.

2. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Just clean them off. I had one get like that so I just wet a paper towel with warm water and let it sit on the chicks bum, and then wipe wipe wipe, am then sit a little longer...didn't come back on the chick in question, and no more have had the issue...I have heard it can be caused by numerous things. So I'm unsure what the cause is, but I changed nothing, but issue was no issue at all

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Apparently it's easy to double post when using your phone

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  4. gardendufus

gardendufus Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds like pasty butt, which is something you need to attend to as it can be harmful to the chick if left there. I understand the buildup will keep them from pooping in the future.

I have used varying methods depending on the severity: Wiping off with a damp Q tip or washcloth. If it's a lot, fill a small container with water and put the chick in it so that the chicks butt is soaking in the water until the poop loosens enough to wipe off.

Try putting raw Apple Cider Vinegar in their water (about 1 TBSP per gallon). This seems to be a good preventative, and I have heard it has several other benefits, even past pasty butt. Other probiotics like yogurt (I think that's the word) can be used. I have seen several times where people also add a little molasses, but this is not something I've used.

In any case, YES this is something you need to attend to.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by