10 day old chicks

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by wvgirl, Sep 7, 2014.

1. wvgirl

wvgirl New Egg

Sep 7, 2014
    My neighbors hen came to my house to lay her eggs twice. The first time she hatched 14 kept them here for 3 days then took them back to my neighbors. This time she hatched 6 they're about 10 days old. She left them today. I couldn't find her and I am missing 1 chick. Went to the neighbors she is there but no chicks. She left 5 here not sure what happened to the other one. I have no clue why she would leave and they wouldn't follow? The nights are also getting chilly here they're small and seem very scared. Someone please give me advice

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

They will not survive long if you don't get them back to her or you or the neighbor get them under a heat lamp. They can die fast from chilling and predators. If you choose to brood them yourself, you will need a heat lamp and brooder.

So you might go get them and bring them inside until you decide if you are going to take them back to momma, the neighbor brood them yourself. Here is a nice article on raising chicks for the first 60 days you might read through for more info on the chicks....https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...ks-the-first-60-days-of-raising-baby-chickens

Good luck with these babies. Momma is not going to come back so please at least go catch them if you can and get them inside.

3. LIChickens

LIChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    First of all, welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 what TwoCrows said. If you can catch them and take them over or chase them back to where she is right now they should get back together with her. Good luck with the chicks.

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

X3 on TwoCrows' advice.

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

You need to get the chicks under heat and out of predators reach.

If you have another broody hen then slip the babies under her at night. Otherwise you'll have to raise them in a brooder yourself. Bring them in to a small box with bedding, food, water and heat.

Good luck!

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I'm wondering why your neighbor cares so little for the chicks. He should be coming for the rest of them. If not, I believe you can keep them and raise them as your own. Maybe a predator took the missing one and it scared the mother off the nest.

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

X2 on the advice you've been given already.

9. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Two Crows gave you some very good advice ...

[​IMG]

10. QHnPPcks

QHnPPcks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2014
    Oh, I hope those babies will be OK;no matter who broods them! Let us know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by