10 day old leghorns and a Pekin sex

mellissa

Songster
7 Years
Feb 10, 2015
Hi,
Here we go again. 3 leghorns hatched out of 6 eggs during heatwave. Appear to be all males again. Pekin should be cockerel chick.

Thoughts would be appreciated.

A477C77A-1676-4156-814F-C9F7EC6D38C0.jpeg
6CD8B871-A720-41F0-918F-70598876E66D.jpeg
Will try again

Combs visible on all 4. Also very big chicks. Except for Pekin. And my previous hatchlings have been male too. Not had much luck at hatching hens. Thinking must be the heat.

They don't look unusually large at this point. Leghorns mature quickly as you know so I expect your wait to know sex won't be long. Nice to see Leghorns in a color other than white!

Completely understand the stellar ability to hatch cockerels. Most years I'm hatching 60-70% males. One year I was getting 80% males. So as an experiment I gave some broody silkies 7 eggs, to see if it was something I was doing. All 7 eggs hatched, all 7 were cockerels. I packed it in for the year after that.

Combs should be visible on both genders. None of those chicks look like cockrels yet. Post a new pic in a couple weeks.

Also if temp had something to do with gender I wouldn’t have all these cockrels running around lol

I’ve hatched over 13 months 11 males and 2 females. In small clutches with 3-4 eggs hatching.
Really sucks. Currently have 5 purebred leghorn roos for sale from 12weeks and 21 weeks. 3 white, 1 black and 1 blue splash don’t want to add more to this list.

i would love to know why some eggs hatch out more males, is it from the pullet or from the cockerel or is it the way we incubate them. i would love to see someone do a thread on it and find out if we can hatch more pullets. :jumpy

Back
Top Bottom