10 day old peachick : splayed legs , toes on one foot curl under, not eating on its own.

Blair6425

In the Brooder
Jul 28, 2020
I was given this peachick 2 days ago. I’m trying to treat it for splayed legs with the legs hobbled. I have taped the foot that has toes that curl under and I am tube feeding several times a day. It has taken a few bites of scrambled egg but nothing else on its own. I want to know if anyone has treated a chick this old for splayed legs and toe issues with success? Also how do I get it to eat better ? Suggestions on food it might be more interested in trying? And advice or knowledge would be appreciated!

I have three five week old peachicks and they are not hearty eaters. I have found two foods they can't resist; dried meal worms and fresh cucumber slices. It took a while for them to try the foods, but once they did they became quite piggy in their eating.

There's no picture.

Last edited:
You have a short window of time to fix foot and leg problems before the bones get too hardened to fix. The foot will be fine but you need to know the difference between splayed and slipped tendon, they are very different. Post a closeup of the back of the knees.

I have three five week old peachicks and they are not hearty eaters. I have found two foods they can't resist; dried meal worms and fresh cucumber slices. It took a while for them to try the foods, but once they did they became quite piggy in their eating.

There's no picture.
Tried the cucumbers and it ate some;)

You have a short window of time to fix foot and leg problems before the bones get too hardened to fix. The foot will be fine but you need to know the difference between splayed and slipped tendon, they are very different. Post a closeup of the back of the knees.
The effected leg/foot is the thinner leg on the right.

Attachments

• EE796B3F-9F96-42AB-A9EB-987D6E3EFE76.jpeg
    EE796B3F-9F96-42AB-A9EB-987D6E3EFE76.jpeg
    365.1 KB · Views: 6
How long should I keep trying to fix the leg before it’s probably not going to get better?

Back
Top Bottom