1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 day old polish chick getting picked on by other 10 day old chicks(s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cottagechick, Sep 9, 2011.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I noticed some red flecks on my banty polishes head today. I wasn't sure if it was pecking, or if it was just the head feathers coming in. A few hours later the spot is bigger and I saw my lf ee chick pecking at it. Why is this happening and how can I stop it. I took two other chicks and separated them from the others so the ee wouldn't have to be alone...can I put neosporin on it? Can I hope that the taste will be so bad she will stop pecking? Help!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Get some Blu-Kote at your farm store and spray it on the chick's head. It will color the feathers blue which they are less likely to peck. They will pull all of the feathers out eventually. It happened to mine, and when the feathers grew back in 3 weeks later, 1 of them pulled them out again over 3 days. I finally had to separate. Spend some time watching who is doing the picking. You may have to separate that chick with a little fence or screen in your brooder. Polish chicks get pecked a lot, and I'm not convinced they should be in a mixed flock.

3. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    I have heard that they get picked on, and I have heard that others have had no trouble...will she stop being picked on so much when they get older if I keep her feathers trimmed so she can see? Should I get rid of the lf ee? I was planning on only having bantams but ended up with two lf (an ee and a red star) I figured I would just keep them...but I was so excited about my little polish and don't want her hurt. She seems really spunky and not especially timid...????

Last edited: Sep 9, 2011
  4. RGBistro

RGBistro Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Orange County, CA
    I have 8 babies in one of my brooders, one of them is a buff polish. The breeder mentioned she had many polish die on her in this last hatch, so what she gave me were 7 non-polish chicks that were less than a week old, and the polish, which was at least a week old; older enough to be slightly larger than the other chicks... and old enough that she was confident it wouldn't die on me.

Everyone's 2-3 weeks old now.

I've been watching "baby chick teevee" everyday and happy to report that the polish isn't getting picked on. [​IMG] Not sure if that made a difference, or if I just got lucky with easy going chicks, but if possible, get the polish slightly older next time?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by