10 day olds out in coop/run?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickmama320, Jun 13, 2011.

1. chickmama320

chickmama320 Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    The weather seems very nice outside right now. It is currently about 83* outside, the high is expected to be 90* with a chance of storms this afternoon (eastern NC). I am wondering if it is okay for my 10 day olds (roo is a few days older) to be outside right now. They can't actually get into the hen house right now because there is no ramp for them, but they are able to get under it for shade. The run is A-frame style so nothing can come down and swoop them up. I have water in there with them. Should this be okay for they day? If it starts to thunder/rain I will bring them inside.

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Sure! They will love it!

3. jtr

jtr Chirping

May 6, 2011
    it will be kindof funny for you to watch

4. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chirping

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    We put ours outside at that age for a couple of hours when it was really warm in the afternoon. We have a little octagon shaped fence for our hamster that is about a foot tall and we took it outside and set it up in the yard and put the chicks in and they had a ball with the dandelions and clover blossoms. They would sleep for hours when we'd put them back in the coop!!

5. chickmama320

chickmama320 Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    They seem to be enjoying it. At what temp outside should I worry and bring them in? Its about 86* outside now.

6. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:If they start cheeping and huddling they r too cold. Sounds like perfect weather so u shouldnt have to worry about it. Pics?? [​IMG]

7. chickmama320

chickmama320 Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I went ahead and brought them in because a few of them appeared to be panting. They will go back out again tomorrow (and I will take pics). I have to start thinking about how I am going to do their food and water once they are actually living outside for good. They spend most of their time under the hen house.... I actually think they were under there the entire time and I don't think they touched the water that was in the run so that may be why they were panting. I had seen someone posting that they keep the food in the hen house, but the water out in the run in order to keep the bedding dryer.

8. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Songster

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    Quote:I am a newbie but when it's hot I have been keeping water in the corner of their coop and outside. Sometimes it is cooler in th coop then outside and they will stay in the cool and drink in there. I hung mine up off the floor a bit and put it in the corner so that if they did spill some it wouldn't get a lot of the bedding wet.

9. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Songster

They're 10 days old and panting in 86 deg weather?

10. chickmama320

chickmama320 Songster

Mar 3, 2009
    Back Swamp NC
    I've had them for a week today, was told that they were 3-4 days old when I got them. I don't have a thermometer at my house, but the airport that is like 3 miles from my house was at 86 when I went to check on them. There were 2 that were open beak breathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by