10 days old, are they going to fly?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cbascom, Feb 10, 2014.

1. cbascom

cbascom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2012
    Phelan, Calif.
    First time with baby chicks, so sorry for silly questions! My chicks are 10 days old and are in my shed with a "draft barrier" made of cardboard about a foot tall. They have a 250 watt infrared heat lamp, chick starter and water with Quik Chick in it. There are 24 of them and they are doing great. They are mostly "heavy breed" cockerels with 6 EE pullets mixed in. Feathers in various states, some have quite a good wing feathering and tails. They are getting very active, running, flapping wings, jumping. I am afraid they are going to flutter out of draft shield. How much flying is going to happen here? Next question, how long should I continue adding quick chick to their water? My older hens have apple cider vinegar in their water, should I switch the babies to that?
    All suggestions and advice is most welcome! Thank you

2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Most brooders need a cover. I have one I built which is 30" high with a screened door that opens from the top. Heavier breeds like Wyandottes and Australorps won't be able to fly a 6' fence at maturity, but breeds like Leghorns and Hamburgs can since they are lighter bodied. When I supplement vitamins and probiotics, I do so at 2-3 times a week in the water. I don't use ACV since the probiotics and vitamins do enough boost the immune system and benefit digestion and ph in the intestinal tract.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  3. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Most chicken breeds can't fly. BUT they can JUMP really far off the ground! Their wings are more or less just making a lot of wind when that happens, but they still use them anyway. They might not be able to fly, but they still THINK they can!

Some breeds, however, can successfully use their wings to go higher. They aren't good for sustaining them in the air for long periods of time though. The chickens will get VERY tired using their wings for actual flight, so while their wings may be able to lift them, they still aren't going to be soaring like an eagle. My sumatras, for instance, can fly a good 20 feet off of the ground. I can't recapture them during roosting time to go back in the pen, because there's no way I can reach them from where they are WAY up in the trees. And they don't go from branch-to-branch either, they fly right up to where they want to be.

But for most other breeds, it's just a matter of JUMPING. If you've ever been kicked by a rooster, you KNOW how strong their legs can get, so they can jump pretty high.

As for your brooder, if they are flapping their wings and ACT like they are flying, then they're about at the age where they will jump out. So it's definitely time to move them into something with a top, or even MUCH higher sides.

4. rottnwarrior

rottnwarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    My black jersey giants were hopping over a foot shortly after I got them. (Got them at 3 days old) while they are laid back and don't like to jump very high, they CAN AND WILL go well over six feet in the air when spooked. They are 5 months old today. (People, dogs, shooting guns, chainsaws, hawks and eagles don't even phase them. But pull out a tape measure and the lose their minds it seems.) it's very rare though. They would rather walk. When I have chicks I use probiotics that come in a 3 pack. Once those three are done I switch to plain water and it works fine for me.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Interesting. I’ve seen a mature full-sized hen launch from the ground from about 15 feet back, easily clear a 4’ high fence, and land on the other side. Next time I chat with her, I’ll tell her she can’t fly.

I’ve had several full grown full-sized fowl launch from my roost in the morning when I open the coop, fly forward about 8 feet, then do a 90 degree turn to fly though the door and land in the run.

I’ve seen 2 week old chicks launch and fly up vertical two feet and horizontal three feet when Mama told them to come to the roost. From watching them, it was obvious they would have no trouble going a lot further if they wanted to. They went level for a bit, then up. They were flying, not jumping.

Whether or not chicks or chickens fly depends on motivation. If they are not motivated they can stay contained. If they are motivated, you might be surprised what any of them can do.

Something else that happens to help them escape is that they like to perch, chicks or adults. If the top of your walls or fence looks like a good place to perch, they might be motivated to fly up there just for fun. It’s usually 50-50 which side they decide to hop down on. On they get out, they have no idea how to get back inside.

I’d think some type of cover for your brooder is probably in order. You don’t want them to get outside and getting trapped away from the heat.

6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    My chicks were flying over the brooder wall at 2 and a half to 3 weeks old and I have a brooder taller than 12 inches, mine is closer to 16 or 18 inches tall and they had no problem getting on top of that, like mentioned above they liked to perch on the wall and sometimes would jump out. As far as older chickens not flying that is dependant on the individual bird. We have had many different breeds and mutts over the years and the only ones that didn't fly (whether they couldn't or just didn't want to I don't know) were the older laying hens we had which makes sense because by that stage in life they are fat little butterballs and slowing down anyways. The best fliers I ever saw were easter eggers my dad bought from a farm about 20 miles away from us, he wanted to buy 12 full grown hens to replace what our beagle killed and he were there half the day trying to catch those buggers, I was a kid then and we had a fishing net which helped but some of those hens flew and perched on top of the barn to escape us, now tell me a chicken can't fly.

7. rottnwarrior

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    Hahaha ! sorry, I was picturing that scene in my head as I read it. Running around with fishing nets chasing chickens through rafters and on too of a barn. I guess you get our point though. They will fly.

8. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    it wasn't through rafters, we were outside about 30 feet from the barn and they would take off from the ground and fly up and perch on the peak of the barn roof, full sized old barn too not a little shed type barn. Needless to say the ones we caught were some of the less skilled ones.

9. rottnwarrior

Sep 19, 2013
    Conklin ny
    Still was probably pretty fun to watch haha.

10. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

10 day's old oh they are ready to explore now so I would put a screen
    on top to keep them chicks in .......

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by