10 days post bumble foot surgery

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kuulgrl, Nov 2, 2013.

1. kuulgrl

kuulgrl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    [​IMG]

This is what her foot looks like after ten days. The scab is loosening up around the edges and healing nicely. The swelling went down a lot but I have a feeling there's still some pus in there. :-( I've been changing the bandage every 24-48 hours.

I have to give it one more week, only because my assistant (husband) is on OT for the next week. I can do soaks and bandage changes alone (with kids) but not cutting.

I feel so bad for her, she's the only one still sleeping on the floor of the coop. I had to wash some poo off her neck this morning, because she chooses to sleep under the roost. I'm not sure if it's because of the bandage or the swelling. I might try totally removing the bandage on Monday and see what happens.

My daughter (4) has named her Bumbles because of the foot. LOL

2. Makomd

Makomd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    ES of MD , USA
    Foot is looking good. Great work.

3. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2013
    Try squeezing it from the opposite side to see if anything comes out.

4. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan

5. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida

6. kuulgrl

Oct 9, 2013
    Central Michigan
    It's been ten days and I figured it would be less puffy/swollen. I'll be keeping it clean and bandaged till it heals completely reguardless. I just hope I got it all the first time. The puffiness has me thinking there might be some hard pus in there still.

We've had these ladies for 2 weeks. I've never had chickens before, so I'm second guessing a lot. ;-) I wish I had someone nearby with more experience to help and get information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by