10 eggs...10 roos? Help sexing Marans

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BroosterSpringsteen, Feb 13, 2013.

1. BroosterSpringsteen

BroosterSpringsteen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I have 3 week old chicks, a variety of Marans. I'm seeing a lot big combs this week. A lot of them are obvious cockerels, but I think some of them are still questionable, but you tell me...did I manage to hatch 10 roosters? I hope not.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Number 7 and 4 look more like girls.

3. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I agree #7 looks like a possible pullet, but #4 concerns me. While there's not much comb, the chick is feathering very, very slowly, and has enormous thick legs for it's size!

4. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Also the 2 which have feather loss (1 and 3) i think are most defintley cockerels because when i hatched out my maran boy he had feather loss on his neck.

5. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    I pegged #1 as a rooster when he was 2 days old [​IMG]
    #3 had me sure it was a pullet for the first couple of weeks, but now I don't know. The feather loss is because the chick was stuck to the shell. I had to save it. After I wrapped it in a warm cloth, the shell came off, but so did a lot of it's fluff! It was basically bald.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I see another problem.... all of them have yellow legs. IIRC, Marans are supposed to have white legs.

7. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    They are supposed to have white legs. Gray/black shading is acceptable in BCM and cuckoo...at least from what I've read. The white marans chicks have pinkish-white legs. All the legs look more saturated in the pictures than they actually are. But yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the leg color.

8. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
  9. BroosterSpringsteen

May 15, 2011
    NW North Carolina
    Brandonbkelly, your guesses match my guesses almost exactly. The only difference I think I had is #6. I really think that little guy is a roo. He has no tail feathers and his comb grows more every day. Plus his barring is really contrasty. #6 was an egg I put into the compost the day after my hatch had ended (or so I thought. I candled all remaining eggs). 2 hours later I heard peeping coming from the compost. I threw the egg back into the bator, and a few hours later he hatched! I named him Oscar (after the trashcan monster). So he's a couple days behind the others size and feather wise. He's the runt, and he's my favorite. Obviously it would be great is he is actually a pullet.

10. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Well, you might know more about the birds gender than I do I'm just going by the picture :)

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by