10 Eggs Missing!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RoosterDon, Jul 9, 2016.

1. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    I will try and post my coop pic here if I can. I converted our kids tree fort that I built for them 15 years ago into a coop. The second floor is where the roosting, egg laying and brooding/hatching occur. I have a small coop on the second floor where I move the brooding hen when she first hatches, so the chicks are safe from the other hens as they hatch. (lost a few that way, as we all know, unfortunately the learning curve with raising chickens usually involves losing one or more here or there).

Between yesterday evening and just now, 10 eggs are missing from under the second brooding hen. No egg shells, no wet hay under her, so it must have been a snake. Several weeks ago I saw scurrying across my free range area a chicken snake close to 10" long. It was obviously not a young snake, and it is the first snake I have ever seen back there, and I am at the coop quite a bit. So I guess that snake or another one must have come up during the night or during the day today and eaten 10 eggs. Don't know what else it could have been. I fully lock up the coop every night, so the only predators are mice and rats, but there are plenty of gaps in the roof area where a snake could get through. I seriously can't see that large snake slipping through chicken wire, and the entire coop is predator proofed with wire matting nailed into the ground securing digging under the fence.

So, if you have any ideas, or interesting stories of losses, please post it here. Maybe we can all learn something to prevent future loss by hearing it here first.

I guess the snake/predator could have come up there today, but I have been out watching and checking on the other hatchings very frequently. Hard to imagine the eggs going missing last night with the hen nesting on the eggs. Chickens go comatose at nightfall. I doubt she would have just left her nest. She pecks and squats at me when I check on her eggs as it is. So who knows.....if it happened today, it happened very quickly.

2. RoosterDon

RoosterDon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2014
    Austin Texas
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by