10 eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Johndale, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    i got 10 eggs from a guy off of here and i candled on the 8th day and saw only 2 embryos:(:mad:what went wrong?

2. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Don't give up yet! It's too early for that.

Sometimes you can't see anything until at least Day 10 and even then sometimes not clearly until Day 14. Just keep incubating and check back in a few more days.

If they are dark eggs you may not know until they hatch even.

3. Johndale

Johndale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    thanks

4. goldensunriseranch

goldensunriseranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Mays Landing NJ
    Were they shipped eggs? That can happen, especially this time of year. The postal service can be hard on eggs and even if the eggs aren't broken can be addled and not give you a great hatch. I wouldn't necessarily be mad at the seller. Now if they were picked up promptly so no shipping was involved I would expect a good bit better than 2. But like the previous poster said if the eggs are dark it might be hard to see them unless you have a really strong candler. Also standard eggs you can't tell as soon as smaller bantam eggs. Hope some more develop for you. In my bantam eggs I can usually tell by day 3 with my candler. Light colored standard eggs by day 5. And standard eggs dark or on the reddish side it will be hard to tell until the embryo is big enough to make the egg very dark inside.

5. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    First, I certainly wouldn't be mad at the guy who sold them to you. do you have any idea what the Post Office does to your eggs? They are generally brutalized the entire time they are in the mail. A 50% hatch rate on shipped eggs is considered great. While it is possible he sold you a bunch of infertile eggs, it is highly unlikely. especially a member here who would most likely prefer to keep a good standing.

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Don't be mad at the seller, I'm sure it was the post. I started out with 2 dozen EE eggs from 2 people here. 3 hatched. I took the remaining eggs out this morning. 3 more developed, but died around Day 19.

Give it a few days, maybe you're not seeing some other embryos. But worst case, the PO scrambled them.

7. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Quote:That is so disheartening. [​IMG] But, I know, at least I feel there is no other choice...the only way to get the eggs I want is to let the PO play kickball with them. [​IMG]

8. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Quote:With both of my hatches, as someone new to chickens and candling as a beginner with a simple flashlight, I wasn't able to see anything at all until between Day 8-10. Even then I wasn't sure if I was really seeing anything substantial. Around Day 14 I knew for sure that there was/wasn't growth in the egg.

Just relax, keep watch on your temps and humidity and try candling again down the road a few. On my second hatch I had more experience with candling and one egg I thought was not going to do anything. In fact I thought it might be bad and I smelled it daily to see if it was going to explode. lol. Turned out that egg had an embryo and was the first one to hatch. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by