10 Gallon aquarium- convert to incubator?

happyhens

Songster
12 Years
Jan 30, 2007
KY
I have 2 ten gallon incubators that are no longer in use. I would love to convert one of them into an incubator, but I need some help getting started in the right direction. One of them has a submersible water heater in it, could I use that to help heat it or not? If not, what would be the best heat source for it (and what would be the easiest, least confusing method of heating)? Any suggestions or input? I am sure someone else has probably already done this, I would love to get some advice. And also one more question- about how many chicken eggs would a ten gallon aquarium incubator hold? Thank you!

Last edited:
I have one heater that goes on the side that was actually used for my 29 Gallon aquarium, but it start fluctuating too much so I took it out and bought a new one for the 29 G tank. So I don't think that one will work to make a bator with, but I do have a heater that is for a 10 gallon tank that goes on the bottom. Last time I used it it was doing a good job.

I currently have a 10 gallon bator up and running with duck eggs in it. This is what i seen on a web site and did, but if anybody as any other ways, let us know.
Here goes------ I put a damp towel on the bottom, then a wire rack (like from a little toaster oven) on top. I have a humidity/temperature gauge that I got from Wal-Mart. I put it right next to the eggs. I have a clip on desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb in it. I set it up for 2 days getting everything stable. So I put Saran wrap on top, and around the lamp so it will stay stable. This has worked for me, I have candled every week, and have growing duckies!!!! they are due to hatch March 3-4. Hope this helps and good luck. Like I said if anyone has any other great suggestions on the way I set mine up please let me know.

Hey, if folks can turn refrigerators into incubators, anything is possible with a heating light, thermostat and water.

ro.netcmarie :

I currently have a 10 gallon bator up and running with duck eggs in it. This is what i seen on a web site and did, but if anybody as any other ways, let us know.
Here goes------ I put a damp towel on the bottom, then a wire rack (like from a little toaster oven) on top. I have a humidity/temperature gauge that I got from Wal-Mart. I put it right next to the eggs. I have a clip on desk lamp with a 60 watt bulb in it. I set it up for 2 days getting everything stable. So I put Saran wrap on top, and around the lamp so it will stay stable. This has worked for me, I have candled every week, and have growing duckies!!!! they are due to hatch March 3-4. Hope this helps and good luck. Like I said if anyone has any other great suggestions on the way I set mine up please let me know.

So you didn't have to use a thermostat? And its staying stable? That's great! How many eggs are in yours right now? Hope your duckie eggs all hatch!
smile.png

Last edited:
I just used a tempuratue/humidity gauge. It is digital, so very easy to use, tells me both, and keeps a "log" underneath each one about what the high and low are. That is all I have to tell me the temp/humidity. Currenly I have 3 eggs now. I had 5, one was a "test egg" to get it stable, so that left me with four. I candled them each week to see, one didn't look like the rest , but left it in there an extra week, sure enough it was a dud. So I have 3 baby duckies waiting to hatch!!!!! It is very exciting!!! Good Luck with yours and i will up date you on the hatch. Hope it goes great!!!!!

Aquarium heaters will not work. They either burn out when exposed to air or the more expensive ones have an automatic shut off if the water level drops too low. Plenty of aquarists have killed their heaters by doing a water change without unplugging them. They have to be used underwater.

Back
Top Bottom