10 hens ate rat poison, started vitamin k

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by gardenpirate, Feb 16, 2014.

  1. gardenpirate

    gardenpirate New Egg

    5
    0
    9
    Feb 16, 2014
    A mouse nested in the chicken bedding and moved rat poison into its nest. Dear hubby spread the bedding in the coop yesterday and didn't notice it. I went out today and found a few bright green pellets and then green stool :(. I don't know how much total they got (I found a 50 gram package) or which hens ate it. The vet said give vitamin K1 everyday for 30 days, is there anything else I should do??? Of course I already cleaned out the coop and run and started the vitamin k. And obviously dispose of the eggs, but that's the least of my concern right now.
     
  2. ten chicks

    ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,290
    285
    208
    May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The only treatment i know of is Vitamin K1 for 30 days. Rat/mouse poisons work by preventing blood from clotting(blocks vitamin k1 in body)resulting in uncontrolled internal bleeding. Vitamin K1 is used to clot blood in the body.

    Some symptoms in cats/dogs are: internal bleeding,lethargy,difficulty breathing,coughing,diarrhea(may or may not be blood),nose bleeds,bruising.

    Symptoms may not show up from 3-5 days depending on which poison was used and how much was ingested.
     
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  3. what did I do

    what did I do Chillin' With My Peeps

    928
    26
    141
    Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    I had a dog get into some mouse poison. I weighed all all my options and how much poison I think he ate. I opted to watch and see but it didn't look like he ate very much. The dog never did have any problems but he never left my sight for days.
    Vitamin k is it. Watch them close for any problems and act right away if you see any. If you know they ate it, give the vitamin k.

    BTW, there are 2 different kinds of mouse bait. One bait will kill regardless of what you do. The other responds to vitamin k.

    Something else, chickens will eat the mice and the mice can pass of the poison.

    Get a cat. :D
     
  4. ten chicks

    ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,290
    285
    208
    May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Not necessarily true,while they are stronger(possibly up to 200x)the same treatment applies. These poisons kill mice/rats fast(one dose)whereas the other type of poisons kills over time.
     
  5. gardenpirate

    gardenpirate New Egg

    5
    0
    9
    Feb 16, 2014
    Thanks, I am getting ready to go give them a second dose of the vitamin k. I think I am going to be scared everytime I go out until I know if its working or not :/. It was the long acting that they got too. Amy idea when the eggs will be safe? Usually we throw bad/broken ones into the field or compost, I am not sure what to do with all these now?
     
  6. ten chicks

    ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,290
    285
    208
    May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    The long acting poison(anticoagulants)is similar to blood thinners and not as strong as the one dose. For the eggs i would discard/throw away for the 30 days,only b/c i do not have any information on safety of eggs while taking vitamin K1 for rat poisoning antidote,or that they may have ingested rat poison,err on the side of safety. Possibly your vet would know this answer.

    Do you know the active ingredient in the poison you were using?
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  7. Dee Dee 2

    Dee Dee 2 Chillin' With My Peeps

    352
    16
    113
    Jun 8, 2012
    Tomball, Tx.
    I am sorry to hear about your incident with the mouse / rat poison. Sure hope your chicks all pull through .LATER TODAY I will send you and everyone else plans for THE WORLDS BEST MOUSE TRAP ! SAFE AROUND CHICKS, PETS, CHILDREN ETC. I caught 16 mice in 3 nights with this trap. Will not be able to send plans till this evening. Good luck with your chicks.
     
  8. ten chicks

    ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

    3,290
    285
    208
    May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    One of the safest ways to use rat/mouse poison is a bait station,keeps the poison locked inside. While i personally do not use poison(have too many pets that could possibly get into it)i have cats that patrol the property taking out the rodent population. I do understand the need to get rid of rodents as they can carry diseases/parasites and if i had to use a poison,it would be a bait station,kept under "lock and key".
     
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
  9. gardenpirate

    gardenpirate New Egg

    5
    0
    9
    Feb 16, 2014
    I agree! We didnt put it out (we use glue traps if we need). I think the previous owner of the property must have put it out. I cleaned out the shed that we now use for chicken supplies just for that reasone. It must have been under the shed and got drug out by some animal (coon or opossum or cat or something). Either that or a neighbor put it out, i am not sure wich.
     
  10. gardenpirate

    gardenpirate New Egg

    5
    0
    9
    Feb 16, 2014
    The hens seem to be ok today. They are much easier to dose than i imagined! I can get all ten of them done in the time it takes me to give just one of my cats a pill ;)
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by