10 Hens. How many eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sticks22, Aug 14, 2008.

1. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    How many eggs will 10 hens lay per day or every few days? I got 1 egg so far and its been quite awhile and they havent laid any more. They are all about 21 weeks old (+ or - ). Im trying to fiqure out how many eggs that Ill have to store in the refridgerator.

2. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed or cross are your pullets?

I assume a 75 to 80% lay rate in my calculations. This would yield you 7 to 8 eggs per day once the hens get into their egg production.

Jim

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I have 10 that are laying age now. I get between 6 and 9 every day. One is a bantam so I usally eat her egg for breakfast! I am just now getting where I have an extra 2 or 3 dozen in the fridge. Hubby takes a dozen or 2 into work for the office gals. Of course I use some at home for baking and cooking. Also we will go through more as soon as the teenager returns home! [​IMG] However I do have 9 more that will be of laying age here soon too. When mine were first laying they did seem to take a day or two off in between. Also they sometimes would lay a shelless egg(while walking!) that was soon gobbled up. So there may be more eggs, you just arn't getting to see them. It does seem to take a few weeks for them to get the hang of things!

4. sticks22

sticks22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Grove, oklahoma
    I have 10 RIR hens, 2 dominique males, 2 RIR males, and 1 buttercup hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by