10 Month old Barred Rock Hen Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by akletzien, Jan 3, 2015.

1. akletzien

akletzien New Egg

Apr 23, 2014
    Any idea as to why my hen barred rock is not laying? I have 2 other barred rocks and 1 white leghorn that are laying. I have searched all over (and I have a bird dog) and have not found any hidden eggs. My leghorn started laying in July. Then, one barred rock started in August. Another in September...so, I feel I have been patiently waiting and realizing they all start when they are ready. I am wondering if I am feeding her too much of something or not enough of something else...she has a layer feed that I get from Tractor Supply. She gets treats of chicken scratch and dried mealy worms. Plus, whatever vegetable scraps I have, sometimes cooked egg, plain pasta, worms from garden...is it possible she's just infertile? If so, what do I do with her? Thanks...

2. Depending on where you live, it could be the weather or the amount of light she's getting. (If you don't light your coop, that may be it)
    Now that the days are getting longer, she may begin to lay.
    Does she show any sign of molting? (Have you seen barred feathers around?)
    Exactly how old is she? It could be she's just a late bloomer. Or that combined with lack of light and cold weather.[​IMG]

3. akletzien

akletzien New Egg

Apr 23, 2014
    We let the chickens free range starting from 730am to until they choose...so, I don't think light is an issue? No signs of molting yet. What would that mean exactly?

We got her when she was two weeks old the week of April 4th 2014.

Thanks for your insight...we are new to this backyard chicken biz! :)

4. CrazyTalk

CrazyTalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2014
    It's probably just the winter/light.

If I was trying to isolate this, the first thing I'd do is cut out the scratch and the vegetable scraps. Layer food is typically already right at the bottom line of what hens can deal with as far as protein. It's designed for large commercial flocks - tiny leghorn type birds. Sometimes heritage/bigger birds need more protein.

Scratch and vegetable scraps are both much lower in protein - when you start at the 14% or so most layer feeds have, and add in 8% scratch/veggies you can very quickly get into dietary issues. If you're going to feed a lot of these things, you need a higher protein base food.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by