10 Month Old Barred Rock STILL Hasn't Laid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ws6652, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ws6652

ws6652 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    We got our barred rock as a chick back in February and she still has not laid an egg. She's perfectly happy and healthy, but all the other hens started laying months ago. Sometimes she likes to sit in the nest box for an hour or so, and sometimes squats when I go to pick her up. This behavior has been going on for a while but she still has yet to lay an egg. It's winter now, but we live in Florida and it's far from cold. The other hen is still laying everyday so the weather shouldn't be the reason the BR hasn't. Anyone have any idea what's taking her so long? She most certainly is not a rooster.

I've attached some pictures below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Wow, she's beautiful! Could she be hiding eggs somewhere? They can be really sneaky sometimes. Otherwise, I don't know. Some of mine have taken a few months extra to start laying but never 10 months that I know of.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How do you know she's not laying? Have you tried confining her? I agree she looks like she should be laying. If she's free range, you may need to go on an egg hunt. But I'd lock her by herself first, just to see what's going on.

4. ws6652

ws6652 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016

We only have two hens, and I have consistently seen the other one lay for months. I check up on them a lot every day and I'm positive this one hasn't started. We used to have more hens, but ended up giving some away (long story), and they all laid their first egg over the summer. It's really perplexing me. Thanks for the welcome, btw :)

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, I'm right there with you with one of my heritage line BR pullets. She is competing with my old EE to see if she can beat her 40 week record for the latest, first egg ever. Her half sister has been laying for a couple of months now, and the other line of BRs I just got this year is starting up-they are two months younger than Zara is. Usually, the old heritage lines lay later than the hatchery stock like you have, but my 39 week old Zara is really trying my patience. She is gorgeous and I want to use her in the breeding pen but to be useful at all, she must lay a darn egg, LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by