10 Month Old Barred Rock STILL Hasn't Laid!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ws6652, Dec 18, 2016.

1. ws6652

ws6652 Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2016
    We got our barred rock as a chick back in February and she still has not laid an egg. She's perfectly happy and healthy, but all the other hens started laying months ago. Sometimes she likes to sit in the nest box for an hour or so, and sometimes squats when I go to pick her up. This behavior has been going on for a while but she still has yet to lay an egg. It's winter now, but we live in Florida and it's far from cold. The other hen is still laying everyday so the weather shouldn't be the reason the BR hasn't. Anyone have any idea what's taking her so long? She most certainly is not a rooster.

I've attached some pictures below.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

She looks ready to lay......Egg eating?

Does not make sense though being she is not eating their eggs....Possible laying outside while free ranging?

Or, just wait a few more weeks....

Cheers!

3. Bruster Rooster

Bruster Rooster Just Hatched

Oct 15, 2016
    Northwest Florida
    I think there is still hope. I received 4 chicks in mid April of this year. One of them is a barred rock, which looks identical to yours, & she & 2 of the others started laying at about 24 weeks. However, the 4th, which is a Dominique, has still not laid. After my rooster started mating with the others, he would not mate with her. Her comb (rose comb) was red, but was not as developed as another Dominique of the same age. Just within the last 2 weeks, her comb & wattles have grown quite a bit and the rooster has mated with her several times. (Apparently, that rooster knows something that I don't.) Several times lately I have noticed her watching other pullets on the nest, laying eggs. I'm expecting an egg from her just any time. It appears some chickens just don't develop nearly as quickly as others. I also live in Florida (Northwest, Florida), so our weather probably isn't that different.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Are you positive that she's not laying?
    She sure looks like she is.
    Do you free range?

Time to check vent and pelvic points:
    Vent Appearance:
    Dry, tight, and smaller - usually not laying.
    Moist, wide, and larger - usually laying.

Pelvic Points 2 bony points(pelvic bones) on either side of vent:
    Less than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means not laying.
    More than 2 fingertip widths apart usually means laying.

Then maybe lock em up for awhile.
    Free range birds sometimes need to be 'trained'(or re-trained) to lay in the coop nests, especially new layers. Leaving them locked in the coop for 3-4 days (or longer) can help 'home' them to lay in the coop nests. Fake eggs/golf balls in the nests can help 'show' them were to lay. They can be confined to coop 24/7 for a few days to a week, or confine them at least until mid to late afternoon. You help them create a new habit and they will usually stick with it. ..at least for a good while, then repeat as necessary.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by