10 month old birds not laying

fowlballbilly

Hatching
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
LAST MAY I PURCHASED 12 BARRED ROCK PULLETS AS DAY OLD CHICKS. DURING JANUARY I FOUND 2 EGGS ABOUT 2 WEEKS APART AND THAT HAS BEEN IT. I THOUGHT THAT WHEN THE DAYS STARTING GETTING LONGER THE CHICKENS WOULD START LAYING. NO SUCH LUCK. I USE A LAYING MASH PURCHASED AT MY LOCAL AGWAY. I HAVE A 3 FOOT LONG TRAY TYPE FEEDER THAT I FILL ON A DAILY BASIS. ITS ALWAYS EMPTY THE NEXT DAY WHEN I GET THERE, AM I FEEDING THEM ENOUGH?

Hi and welcome. Could you please lower the caps it makes it hard to read the post for us old folks

They will go through periods where they stop laying... as the weather is still cold and some may be molting, I would not worry too much right now.

Their food should be given to them free choice .. meaning that tray should not be empty if you can help it. Do they free range or are they confined?

If you have 12 girls, how much food are they eating a week? If they are eating less than 20 lbs or so per week, they need more food. You also need to make sure they have a good calcium and grit source such as oyster shell or hen grit.

Some chickens stop laying through winter...my neighbors buff orpingtons stopped laying in November and did not start again until late February.

Things that stop them from laying... cold temperature, hot temperatures, molting and being broody. They are best at temps 50 - 70 degrees. So just give them time and make sure they are getting enough to eat and supplement them some veggie scraps and such from kitchen.

Back
Top Bottom