10 month old BLR Wyandotte can't stand up....Mareks? ***Pics Added***

FowlPlayFox

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
I noticed my hen last night laying on the floor of the coop while all the others (9 hens and a Roo) were on the roost. I nudged her and she didn't seem to want to move, like she was broody. This morning she was under the roosting board still laying on the ground (but upright - like she was sitting on an egg). I can't see anything wrong with her. She feels fat and heavy not light and sick. Her eyes are clear. When I hold her up, her feet are curled up somewhat and she just acts like she can't get any footing when she tries to walk. I brought her in the house and will try to feed her oatmeal and yogart. Maybe put some antibiotics in her water. I read on here maybe try watered down gatorade. Her vent area looks normal, I don't feel an egg when I palpate her stomach.

Is she too old for Mareks (10 months)? She was not vaccinated, but I have had a closed flock - no new birds since she was 2 weeks old.

Also, about 7 days ago I cleaned out the coop and sprinkled some cedar shavings (from a pet store) onto the floor. The coop is very well ventilated and I only used a little, but I've read on here that cedar can cause problems...this type of problem?

19020_p1020897.jpg

19020_p1020895.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom