10 month old molting? Rescued a flock have questions

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by warrenjennifer, Dec 30, 2014.

1. warrenjennifer

warrenjennifer Out Of The Brooder

Dec 25, 2014
    I acquired 1 roo pure Lavander and 1 hen pure Lavander ameracana and 4 pure black splits. Hens all said to be 10 months old and roo 1-1/2 old. The also tossed in 2 BO 1-1/2 years old. Long nails that almost wrap around roosting bar :( they arrived 12-26-14 and won't even leave the coop to the fenced in yard. My original flock 2 months younger free range all day. They had no artificial lighting previously
    Previous owner said they have not been laying but 2-3 eggs total a week and have already gone through a molting and just coming out of it? Seems young for molting?
    Questions are how long before they should start laying again? We have red light on for heat 24/7 Close up in coop at night for warmth. We live in northern MI where it's been under 20 degrees or so during the day and low teens at night. Feeding BOSS, scratch, flock block, gritt always available, cracked corn, fodder ect.
    When is it safe to allow all of them to free range? Outside dance with my old (younger) flock?
    Can't wait for beautiful eggs!!!
    Roo has not even associated with the old flock!! Which I thought was intresting. 8 black sexlink hens 8 months old make up our "old flock"
    Any help for me the newbie would be great!!!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  2. warrenjennifer

Dec 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  3. warrenjennifer

Dec 25, 2014
    [​IMG]

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have 2 of this year's pullets molting as well. Have never had that before. They haven't started back up. Don't worry about the new ones. They'll figure it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by