10 month old plucking her own feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by P-Funk, Apr 6, 2011.

1. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    Penny, my 10 month old Rhode Island Red, has a bare patch on her lower back. I first noticed the patch 2 weeks ago but didn't know the cause. Two days ago I caught her digging at it. It's getting worse. She shares a coop and run with 3 Plymouth Rocks (also 10 months) who have shown no similar problems. They all eat Egg Maker and their converted stall always has lots of fresh pine shavings. They free range together whenever weather permits and share 3 nesting boxes. The barn is also occupied by 2 saddlebred horses but I doubt that has anything to do with this. None of her behavior is abnormal aside from the scratching. I will attach pictures as soon as I figure out how. Thank you in advance for any ideas.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] Hi, have you checked them over for mites or lice/ this is the time of year and they can really make them go down hill quick.. as far as the bare spot if you can get some Blue-kote and spray it on her it will help to heal and also cover the wound up. but check them for lice and mites first then check back here and we;ll give you info on what you need to do to get rid of them.. all the best http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

Last edited: Apr 6, 2011
  3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Welcome! Sorry it was a problem that brought you here.

I agree, definitely check for lice/mites; here is a fact sheet about them. Is it possible the others have pecked /pulled feathers to create this, and now it is bothering her?

http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

4. P-Funk

P-Funk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Franktown
    I can't find any critters near Penny's bald spot, just stubble where the feathers used to be. The other birds are showing very slight feather loss in the same area of the lower back. I'm going to treat them anyway with Sevin dust and scrub down the stall, again. There are lots of wild animals running around here including turkeys. That has to be it. I don't suppose treating them would do any harm. I'm on my way to the store right now and will check back here before I do anything 'rash'. Thank you much for your responses ddAWN and Miss Lydia!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by