1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 month old Polish Hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nkkennedy, Nov 27, 2013.

1. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Hi All,

I have a polish hen who just turned 10 months old and she is still not laying any eggs. Is this common with the breed? From everything I read she should be a decent egg layer. (Maybe not quantity - but reliable). My other guys all either 10 months or 6 months are laying eggs (the young girls just started). I know its coming into winter on Long Island, NY but I figure since everyone else is still/started laying that she should start too? What do you think?

This is Olga a couple weeks ago:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Polish aren't the greatest layers, and usually take longer to start laying than more egg type birds, like Rhode Island Reds, etc. Most Polish should have started laying by now, though. One reason why she may not be laying is because of the decreasing daylight. To lay well (or, sometimes, to start laying), birds need at least 14 hours of light a day. Any less than that, and they may stop laying or not start laying.

3. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! Hopefully she will start this spring

4. Vamvakas

Vamvakas Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    North Branford, CT
    Give it time.. Crested chickens take a long time to mature and lay eggs.

5. nkkennedy

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Thanks! I didn't even realize that she was a crested chicken ( I looked it up)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by