1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 month old pullet hasn't laid an egg in 5months

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Imcoopinwell, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Imcoopinwell

Imcoopinwell New Egg

Jan 24, 2012
    In march 2011' I added a deleware, blue Maran, & blue/splash hamburg to my small flock of 2 barred rocks. My hamburg is 10 months old and laid for about 4 weeks... Over months ago! She is the smallest and gets chased by the barred rocks often. She doesn't go to the coop at all during the day.

Her comb is a pale pink & the maran & one barred rock have pale pink combs too, haven't started laying again after molting. I'm concerned she is sick and don't want to add new spring chicks till I know she is ok.

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Well, the tel tel sign if they are laying is if the comb and wattles are red. She probably hasen't been laying due to all the stress on her by the other chickens chasing her, and if they peck at her etc. One of my hens hasent layed since october, and layed an egg yesterday......it has to do with the daylight hours a hen has. They will lay less in the winter because of the longer nights, and more in the summer, because of the longer days. Some people put timer set lights in the coop to turn on early in the morning so the hens will lay more. If you do believe she starts laying(red comb..), but don't find any eggs, she probably has a hidden nest somewhere. Good luck with your hen [​IMG]

3. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Might want to bump up the feed. Our chickens stopped laying when fall started to approach and we couldn't figure out what was going on. After talking to some people, we concluded that their food supply from free ranging had decreased with the colder temps...so we bumped up their feed..they were laying like crazy in about a week!! If she's small and gets chased around, she might not be getting enough protien! It takes a lot of energy to make an egg!! Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by