1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 month old Rhode Island Red hens losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phoneman40, Jan 4, 2011.

1. phoneman40

phoneman40 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    just a question about my 10 month old Rhode Island Red hens...over the past four or five days I have noticed about 3 out of 10 are starting to lose feathers....there has been to stress or change in diet or anything to cause this that I can think of....any of you chicken guru's know what this could possibly be caused by-they are acting perfectly normal so i don't know where to start.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THANKS IN ADVANCE!! HELP!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  2. BrianT

BrianT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    North FL
    Is she being pecked? or maybe molting?

3. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    They are moulting. Totally normal. Chickens shed thier feathers at least once a year and grow in new ones. Hens may stop laying during this time. Again totally normal.

4. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    My 10 month old hen just did the exact same thing. The pin feathers are new feathers coming in and she is molting. She'll look really funny for a while and then back to normal! Mine took about 2 weeks to get back to normal.

5. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Completely normal moulting. Looks alarming, but isn't. Pump up their protein to help them grow new feathers and they'll be just fine.

6. phoneman40

phoneman40 Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    THANK YOU!!! I thought they might be out there smoking crack or something. You are all
    awesome
    [​IMG]

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    We're lying, they're actually smoking something....

Anyway, those funny looking feathers are the indication of molt -- pin feathers.

8. Jess N Jeff

Jess N Jeff Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2009
    South San Diego, Cali
    Looks like molting to me. My 1 year old Australorp just did an entire body molt...I shouldn't laugh but it looked absolutely alien funny. I felt so bad for her I kept her in the house at night the last couple of weeks. It was soooo cold outside...[​IMG]

9. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Hi Pro. Usually sold as gamebird feed. Thumbs up!

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    You might wanna check your weeds just in case. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by