10 month old silkies have only laid 3 eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RacHill, Feb 4, 2017.

1. RacHill

RacHill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    I have 2 silkies that have laid only
    3 eggs(one without a shell). I am not sure if it was just one or both.... I have not had an egg from them since( that was about 3 months ago)... any suggestions as to why? All my other chickens of different breeds have been consistently laying...

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Well, firstly, silkies are primarily ornamental. Some lay more, some lay less, but 2-3 a week would be typical, I believe. There are a few things that may be going on: they stopped for winter, they have a hidden nest, or someone is eating their eggs.

3. RacHill

RacHill Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2016
    I have a fairly small enclosed coop and run as I only have 6chickens including the 2silkies. So, there is no where to have a hidden nest.... I live in Florida, so while egg production may slow, it never actually stops during winter because of warmer temperatures. As for the eating thing.... could they eat all evidence including shells completely? Would they be eating the other eggs also? Thank you for your thoughts :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by