10 month old Sussex - no eggs? normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SkyeSussex, Jan 24, 2015.

1. SkyeSussex

SkyeSussex Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2014
    Hi, i am new to this so be gentle. I have recently got chickens again after many many years without. We always rescued ex battery hens growing up but this time I went with different breeds.

I have 4x 10mo light sussex which were sold to me at 8months POL. I still don't have eggs so i figure I may be doing something wrong.

2. PirocaKeeper

PirocaKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2014
    Western Massachussetts
    I am not sure about normal as that is such a debatable term. In general breeds take around a certain amount of time that is natural to that breed. For example in my experience white leghorn pullets generally lay around 5-6 months of age, orpingtons on the other hand, never layed for me before at least 8.5 months of age. Black Cooper Marans, purebred, around 7-8 months and all other breeds anywhere in between. My point it depends. My one speckled Sussex just started laying at 9.5 months. See it all depends on when their bodies naturally mature to be able to produce eggs and then if that happens to be in late Fall/Winter, their bodies can pull a trick on you. Some of them will mature slighty faster and start laying a little earlier for their breed and some of them will postpone the start of laying all the way to early spring. You will have clues when they are getting there. They start making different sound, kind of like a laying song, some of them may even squat for you.
    Their wattles, face and comb will become more reddish than pink and their demeanor changes. Hard to explain exactly, but there is a different something in the air. At 8 months, they should be getting close, so your wait probably is not going to be much longer. It is always difficult when one is waiting for that first egg. Almost like it seems forever. Believe me I have pullets every year that I hatch and you would think by now, I would be patient, nope. I go through the same, the only difference is I know now, that whatever their timing is, is the right time. Layers that start later, lay bigger eggs in general and are more sexually mature to endure the job. So now, (even though I can't wait), I know is ok. If all of your hens get past the year and no laying, then maybe something is off. In the meantime, enjoy them for their beauty and your rewards will be just around the corner. Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I commend you for those years of rescuing battery hens. I did similar as in the beginning I got my chicks from the butch,. I would say, "ITS OK, I'LL JUST TAKE THAT ONE LIVE" . Another thought. Maybe they sold you POL and they LIED.
    [​IMG]

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Would you be able to get and post a few photos of the birds? We might be able to help you assess their overall signs of readiness and give you an idea of how close they are/aren't to those first eggs.

5. SkyeSussex

Dec 20, 2014
    So I've just found out the 4 sussex that were sold to me have scaly leg mites :( i feel so silly that i didn't see it when i got them.
    Does this stop laying?

6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Easy enough to treat. Go to the top bar, and type in Scaly leg mites. You'll find lots of threads with lots of info about treating.

7. SkyeSussex

Dec 20, 2014
    Thank you. I just feel bad that I have exposed them all to it. I should have done more research.
    For those that requested pictures.[​IMG]

8. SkyeSussex

Dec 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

9. SkyeSussex

Dec 20, 2014
    [​IMG]

The lady that sold them to me is sure that they hatched in march 2014.

10. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    These are soooo beautiful I would definitely like to have one. To me doesn't matter if they don't lay. I just want lap pets and garden ornaments. Just a question??? are you feeding them layer feed? It does make a difference. Read some threads on that subject to get well informed. As to the leg mites. Long ago I encountered them and treated the legs with Vaseline. My understanding is the vaseline prevents mites from getting air. I could be wrong but it worked well. I also used margarine once and got similar results. Them chicks sure had soft legs. Also good to clean out coop and disinfect to finish off the remaining lil devils. I USED BLEACH. It was summer and bleach aired out before girls came to roost.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by