10 month old Wyandotte has stopped laying

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
My 10 month old Wyandotte has stopped laying, I think for a least a couple of weeks now. She was the last one in the group to start laying, but was pretty regular. She seems totally normal (as normal as Dottie gets, because she's a bit of a special chicken and likes to contemplate things for long periods of time). The girls are on starter/grower as we have a rooster (oyster shells offered separately), but they free range most of the day and don't eat too much of their food to be honest. They do get a good selection of veggies, black soldier fly larvae, sunflower seeds and kitchen scraps etc. - should I cut this out? She hasn't been sick that I know. She does go to the coop and sits in the nesting box for a good while, but no egg. Changes we have had: one hen became broody and we now have a mamma and baby in the run (other babies will join but they hatched much later and are inside) - their contact is limited, but she was quite territorial with the mamma as I think she lost her place in the pecking order (mamma is being submissive though). Access to the coops is being a little tricky because of the mamma and baby situation (we let the girls in the protected run where the coops are when we hear them grumbling at the run door), but we're working on it. If we're not around they have full access as mamma and baby come inside the house. I also had to put a saddle on her because our rooster was leaving her totally bald, but it doesn't seem to bother her now. I am assuming she can't be egg bound because she isn't acting at all sick. Everyone else is laying just as usual. I don't see that she's molting, but is this the age that she would likely molt? Also she's not acting broody like my other girl did. Just concerned really that something isn't well with her.

Have you checked around for hidden nests, since you free range? With the situation with the broody, she might've decided to lay elsewhere to avoid conflict in the coop.
Thanks - I haven’t found anything yet, but I’ll do a more exhaustive search tomorrow. I was assuming that because she does go and sit in the nesting box for longish periods that she wasn’t laying elsewhere, but it won’t hurt to be thorough!

Back
Top Bottom