10+ months old and NO eggs...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stacyandskyler, Jan 25, 2011.

1. stacyandskyler

stacyandskyler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    My ten month old hatchery (Ideal) Buff Orp gal has yet to lay a single egg. I am rather perplexed. This was our first year with chicks, and we got our first egg at around 30 weeks from our Barred Rock, and then about a month ago our Easter Egger started laying. So, they were both late bloomers, which is a-okay...but I am beginning to wonder if our holdout will EVER lay an egg. I am 99.9% certain she is a she, so I've got no clue why she doesn't want to pop out those eggies. Any theories?

Thanks in advance,
    Stacy

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It maybe just a case that there isn't enough daylight yet for her to lay. Also some hens take longer to mature. I wouldn't give up on her yet. You might want to post a picture of her too.

3. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I had another thought; What are you feeding them? Because this could make a difference also.

4. stacyandskyler

stacyandskyler Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2010
    Reno, NV
    I feed the girls organic layer crumbles as their staple. They also get yogurt on a regular basis as well as fruit/veggie scraps. We haven't ever gotten a soft-shelled egg from the other girls, and once they started laying they've laid daily (or nearly so).

Here are a couple pictures of BuzzLightyear. Maybe her pictures will give away something I'm missing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again,

Stacy

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  5. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Maybe he doesn't want to lay eggs?

Nutrition made a world of difference for me.

6. marcumbackyardfarms

marcumbackyardfarms Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    Russellville
    My BO was about 8 months old when she started laying (non-hatchery). However, her combs and wattles were much larger and redder than yours? Maybe she's just not ready yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by