10" of snow today!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by subdriver, Jan 10, 2009.

1. subdriver

subdriver Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2008
    NW Ohio
    10" of snow in my neck of the woods. (still snowing). Earlier this morning I brought treats! The buckeyes didn't seem to mind the snow so much but as it was still snowing, they mostly stayed holed up in the coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Warm in the coop!

[​IMG]

One wasn't sure the treats were worth the few feet in the deep snow So I packed it down a bit for her....[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But in the end... the lure of dried cherries, leftover mac & cheese and corn chips and bread was too much of a temptation.... [​IMG] Greedy buggers...

[​IMG]

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    So pretty! You probably don't think so, but I've only seen snow once and that was 10 years ago!

3. subdriver

Nov 18, 2008
    NW Ohio
    It looses its allure after you spend a couple of hours shoveling it!!
    Actually I love all the seasons and don't mind the winter.

cheers

4. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    AAAAAAAHHHHHH! im in columbus and all we got was ICE, ICE AND MORE ICE! Busted my but in the driveway!!! OUCH! I want to build a snowman so bad im jealous!

5. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    It's snowing here in Maine too and it has been for a while! Before Christmas, we were at a neighbor's party and one guy's car got COMPLETELY snowed in; there must have been 2 feet or more in ONE storm! Pretty good for mid-December. All our hens are scared of it except Ophelia, who is smart enough to realize the white stuff won't kill her to walk in it.

ETA: Going out to build a snowfort... as soon as I get my butt of BYC, which is never... [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2009
  6. subdriver

Nov 18, 2008
    NW Ohio
    This morning we had frozen fog and a couple of the hens wandered into a snowdrift and didn't know what to do next. They stood there for about 1/2 an hour before I put the boots back on and resued them back to the coop. I dug a path in the snow so that they could run around in the snow path.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Awww that is sooo pretty!!
    I live in Newark and all we got was Ice and Rain!!! PUKE
    I would much rather have TONS of snow than one inch of stupid ice!

8. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Looks like the chickies love the snow!

9. subdriver

Nov 18, 2008
    NW Ohio
    They don't seem to mind it too much. Like I said, they wandered into a snow drift and didn't know what to do next. They just stood there. Didn't retrace their steps or anything. The rest of the flock shouted encouragement to them but they seemed kind of confused...[​IMG]
    I shoveled some pathways for them and then they were fine. They are Buckeyes, a heritage breed bred for the cold. They have pea combs so they are not frostbite prone.

10. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    sweet pics subdriver!

thanks for sharing and [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by