10 week BLRW sexing help

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emrya, Sep 19, 2018.

1. emrya

emrya Songster

Apr 24, 2018
    Peyton, CO
    2011652A-F426-47F6-B55B-AD7DE7E53AFC.jpeg As the title says! I have seven ten week olds and am pretty sure on six- but I have one with a rogue single comb that is confusing me. Comb wise says cockerel, feather patterning, not so much. About middle of the pack size wise.. so help me out BYC!

2. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Cockerel... per the giant red waddles.

Some Wyandotte breeders have been known to keep straight combs in their flock... as breeding ALL rose comb... slows the motility of sperm after several generations... essentially breeding OUT your fertility. This is the first BLR I have seen with straight comb, but it is all TOO common in the hatchery Silver and Gold laced.

Gender shaped feathers should start coming in on the saddle maybe in the next couple weeks, 10 is still young...
    [​IMG]

Also... his lacing is way to weak and incomplete. Though I'm pretty sure you wouldn't breed him due to the comb being incorrect... at least if the standard is important to you or if you are working to help the breed. Anyways, still a cutie... no judgement intended. :)

I would be surprised if it were female... but have been incorrect before. :fl

Frazzemrat1 and KikiLeigh02 like this.
  3. emrya

emrya Songster

Apr 24, 2018
    Peyton, CO
    yeah I was not planning on including him in any breeding plan- I have a neighbor who is looking for a few hens and since I was going to cull him anyways, I figured if it was a pullet, I could pass it to her!

most of my other cockerels (5 out of 7 in this batch, darn it!) have more of the saddle coloring on the wings. I'm going to hang on to the rose comb boys and see who feathers out nicely in the next few weeks- my two older pullets changed lacing entirely at the 3 month molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: