10 week EE...banty??? hen???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Lady of McCamley, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    I posted earlier on this and got might be a roo just wait. I'm thinking hen now.

It came from a small banty size blue egg, so it is an EE for certain, has green legs with a whisp of feathering too.

Also, at 10 weeks it is the about the size of my Silkie Banty (just not as "meaty)...so I'm thinking this isn't going to be a true banty size is it...but something mixed in between?

Oh, and it of course won't cooperate and nicely lift its wings, but it has this crazy pattern under each wing on a single feather.

Thanks for helping me out.
    Lady of McCamley

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Looks like a hen and it looks like a game bird cross.

3. lilliesanchicks

lilliesanchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    looks like game/EE but I am starting to see shiny feathers around the neck.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It looks like a mixed breed to me. The only Easter Egger traits I see are the pea comb and the leg color. He might have some gamebird in her ancestry. And, for now, I think that it is a cockerel. I'm seeing some shiny, pointy feathers on the neck, and a rather pink comb for being 10 weeks old.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  5. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I also think it looks like a game bird mix, and I'm leaning cockerel. That's a modified pea comb thanks to the mixed ancestry, but it's awfully large and pink for that bird's age. EE pullet combs don't redden at all until they are much older than this bird.

6. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Yep, little jaunty Game/EE chap.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Yep roo. I can see saddle feathers developing and I think an attempt at a tiny little crow today.

I originally thought this was going to be a roo with the red comb quickly forming (smallish but red), but not being sure about Banties I asked a feed store clerk who is supposed to be a chicken expert. That lady said that banties get humongous combs by 3 weeks if they are roosters....which mine hadn't...so she thought hen.

Apparently she was wrong. [​IMG]

Thanks BYC friends.

Hopefully daughter can take this guy off my hands...otherwise, I'll need to find another home.
    Lady of McCamley

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by