1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old Australorp - rooster or hen??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by austigirl, Dec 11, 2013.

1. austigirl

austigirl New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Austinmer, Australia
    I have a beautiful 10 week old Australorp which I believe may be a rooster as I have begun to hear strange attempts at crowing coming from the hutch at 5.15am each morning. It has been difficult to catch him/her in the act, but she/he also has many of the other characteristics of being a rooster that I have researched online.
    These include: larger/thicker legs than the others, large red comb & wattles (my other chickens 3 have small flesh coloured combs & no wattles), more agressive behaviour - seems to herd the other 3 a lot, what appears to be developing saddle feathers tinged shiny green.
    As we can't keep roosters in our suburban area, and I cannot find anyone who will take it if it is a rooster, the fate for Betty (Bob) will not be good so I'm hoping some of you may be able to give your opinion based on the pictures below.
    I have read that hens can actually crow - although has anyone ever experienced this at a regular time each morning or are they confusing that with the noise a hen makes when she lays an egg?
    Hope you can help...here are the pics.

[​IMG]

Betty (Bob) is the black Australorp aged 10 weeks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Looks like a roo to me. My Aussie girls combs did not redden like that til they were 5 or more months old. And that last pic of the body....has roo written all over it!!

Where are you located? I would love to have an Aussie roo if you aren't too far away. :)

Oh and welcome to BYC!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG]
    Well, I'd give him a couple more weeks, but I am almost 100 % sure that he is a cockerel. Sorry 'bout that.

4. austigirl

austigirl New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Austinmer, Australia
    I'm in Australia - a long way from New Mexico unfortunately. I so wish I could re-house him/her [​IMG]

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Wow...you couldn't be farther away! Well I hope you find him a good home. Once you have about 10 posts, try the "animals in need of rehomeing" section and post his pic. You might find someone near you that might take this gorgeous baby.

6. austigirl

austigirl New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Austinmer, Australia
    Thanks. Will do.

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That is absolutely a cockerel, and not a pure Australorp with all that red leakage on the wings. The large comb, crowing attempts and red on the wings are all 100% rooster signs, sorry. He'll make a nice dinner for somebody.

8. austigirl

austigirl New Egg

Dec 11, 2013
    Austinmer, Australia
    Yes sorry. Just checked the breeders notes it is an Australorp X New Hampshire - but I think the verdict re rooster or hen remains the same!

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree, he's a cockerel.

10. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    With that patchy red coloring on the wings, the shiny feathers, and the large comb/wattles, I'd say you have a rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by