1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old b.o. *pictures this time* Is this a boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Nov 16, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Two or three of my b.o. "pullets" have suddenly developed these blood red wattles. It seemed like it happened over night. I've never seen that before in b.o.s, and i've never had b.o. cockerels before. Do i have cockerels?????

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Krodsorin

Krodsorin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2009
    Wyee
    look hennish

3. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I don't think cockerels develop combs/wattles "suddenly" overnight. Seems like they just always have them.

When my pullets went red-faced "overnight" it was because they were about a week or so from starting to lay, but 10weeks does seem a bit young for that.
    Maybe someone else knows more

4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    That looks like a roo to me. I have some 10 weeks old bbs orp.

They were 10 weeks old today and let me show their pics from today...

This is a pullet Athena

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my roo, Thor today. You can see his prominent comb and waddles and also the difference between he and Athena.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  5. cat

cat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Don't write them off as roos just yet, my buff orpington hens looked identical to yours at 10 weeks. Fingers crossed for you. [​IMG]

6. Rock N' Faverolles

Rock N' Faverolles Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    looks like a pullet to me.

David

7. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Pullet.... my BO is about 1yo and it's a hen. Yours looks exactly like mine.

[​IMG]

8. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Thanks for the responses y'all. I guess we'll just keep watching. I'd love to have a couple of roos. [​IMG]

9. Bedste

Bedste Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Cut n Shoot Texas
    They do look like they could go either way to me. I have buffs the same age and all of my pullets have pink little combs and no wattles, all 6 of them. For your 10 weekers to already look like a full grown pullet so young, makes me think they are probably roos. In this case I know that they wont be going to Freezer Camp so I am very hopeful that you have two BUFF Roos...... it is a win win either way... glad you are taking pics for the buff chicks in your future..... YOU and I both are going to somehow find Buff Roos so we can raise our own favorite breed.

10. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    I have 4 BO-only one looked female from the beginning. Two are very Bossy Buffs . They are all pullets laying eggs now at 25 weeks. One is still named Le Roo because we were sure it was a boy until the eggs started showing up. She is a pretty guttsy gal-stands up to my guineas. The other one with a large comb is spoiled and still wants to sit on an arm or in a lap whenever someone will let her. She was the most shy as a chick and is now the most friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by