10 week old bantam wing hanging down ??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bantamenace, May 7, 2009.

1. bantamenace

bantamenace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Tasmania
    Hi to all,
    our new little 10 week old chicken has its right wing hanging down and it touches the ground. not sure how it happened as i have been at work all day. she doesnt seem to be in pain and is trying to flap it. any help on what is wrong - could it be broken? and what do i do now? please thanks very much

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

What kind is s/he? Some types have wings that hang down or s/he could have angelwing...as long as she's not in pain, I should think she should be fine.

3. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    does she have her feathers ruffled up if so it could be cocci. that normally is one of the first signs of it.

4. bantamenace

bantamenace Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    Tasmania
    she is an australorp bantam and the others we have dont have wings like this, she cant get onto her perch which is really low to the ground. looks like the joint is gone and the whole wing is hanging down but no pain ( she doesnt mind when you touch her wing and prefers to sit in your lap to sleep) thanks for your responses as we are new to chickens i will look up your responses to find out more. thanks so much

5. Tootsie

Tootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Could be broken, if so will have to be wrapped. I had one with it and it healed well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by