10 week old barred rock pullet...comb and wattles turning reddish

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nikkumz, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Im 100% sure its a pullet...well i was until today when i realized that her comb is getting very red...so is my other barred rock. Ive heard this can happen when they are getting ready to lay?
    but 10 weeks is WAY too young.....right??

2. mljohnson05

mljohnson05 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Missouri
    Young Yes...but I have seen it happen...Usually they will turn really red about 2 weeks b4 they lay.
    Can you post pics?

Best Wishes,
    Laura

3. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Heres one of them
    [​IMG]

4. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    You still have a pullet she's probablygoing to lay in the next couple months or so.

5. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Heres the rest of my big girls, you can see my boys in the back a little too lol they were getting curious!..They are all 10 weeks old
    [​IMG]

and my two production reds
    [​IMG]

6. krcote

krcote Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Concord, NH
    They all look like gals to me!

7. Nikkumz

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    ohh i know they are all girls...lol..sorry guess my question wasnt very clear sorry!
    I was asking could they actually be getting ready to lay this early?? at 10 weeks?

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Nah, too early to lay.

I have a hen, Lilith, that got caught at the bottom of a pile up after the flock got spooked. Some quick thinking on the part of my DH saved the life of Lilith and another pullet that was at the bottom. They were about 9 - 10 weeks old at the time. Lilith's comb turned red that day and has stayed red ever since. It happens.

9. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    I have 3 BR and 3 RIR. Mine are eight weeks and they looked exactly like yours when they were six weeks old. Their combs and wattles have been red too...normal.

10. WhySayWhat

WhySayWhat Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    Spokane
    My BR has a super red face and has since she was only 4 weeks or so old! Her comb kind of "shot up" too, but is still tiny in comparison to other people's "known BR roos". At 14 weeks old, still no crowing, so I'm pretty sure "she" is still a "she". [​IMG] The roos I've seen photos of have large wattles to go along with the large, bright red combs, my BR has little wattles still too.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by