10 week old barred rock super lethargic

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by zhildebrand, Apr 7, 2017.

1. zhildebrand

zhildebrand New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Hello BYC friends,

I'm very new to raising chickens, I have to issues I need help with.

1: My Barred Rock has been very lethargic the past two days, she will stand-up walk over to the food and then lay down and eat it. I picked her up and she didn't try to run at all and felt very weak in my hand. I'm very worried about her. She still eats but is laying down a lot.

2: One of my Road Island reds had a very large lump (size of a golf ball) of poop by her vent and it was very hard, I picked her up and ran it under warm water for a few minutes and broke it up. I'm wondering if any one has had this happen and might know what causes it?

Thank you for any help!

Zach

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    If I had a 10 week old pullet who was lethargic and lying down a lot may be showing early signs of coccidiosis, although they usually will sto eating, stand around or sit puffed up with neck pulled into slhoulders, and have runny poops with mucus, or some blood. Corid from your feed store is the best treatment for coccidiosis. Some vets will test some fresh droppings for cocci and worms, if you would take some in. You can treat all birds with Corid without harming them if you suspect cocci. Right now I would feel of her crop to make sure it is emptying by early morning. Look her over for lice and mites around her vent and elsewhere. Start some poultry vitamins in her water daily, and give them all a small amount of plain yogurt 2 days a week in their food for probiotics.
    As far as the poop ball on the other chicken, I think we all have had a chicken with that problem, whether it is caused by runny poops sticking to feathers, or just the shape of her bottom and excess fluff.

3. zhildebrand

zhildebrand New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    Okay thank you! I just checked on her, she is still laying down but she is eating and she had some Keifer, but then laid back down, I did notice her still was runny. Her crop is empty, and I didn't see any lice. I have 4 other pullets and they're acting normal! I'll get some corid tomorrow and see if it helps!

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Corid dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days. Call before you go to feed stores to make sure they have it.

5. zhildebrand

zhildebrand New Egg

Apr 7, 2017
    After watching her for a week, she is still eating and drinking like normal. I think one of the goats stepped on her and injured her wing or leg. Has anyone had a chicken with an injured leg? Is there anything I can do to help her. She walks a few steps and lays down.

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Sometimes rest will help heal a leg injury. You could use chick vitamins in the water, or crush a viatmin B Complex tablet in her water or food daily.

7. zhildebrand

zhildebrand New Egg

Apr 7, 2017

Thank you so much I'll give it egg-o, hopefully she pulls through and gets back to herself. Dang goats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by