10 week old BO seeming to lose weight...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by motherhenmindy, Jun 24, 2011.

1. motherhenmindy

motherhenmindy Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    She is acting fine, eating and drinking, seems alert. She did make more of a fuss, as in a lot of squawking, than she usually does when I picked her up tonight to check her over. I honestly do my best to try to look for mites around the vents, but yeah, all those feathers, I barely get a peek. She feels lighter and her breast not as full. I felt her crop, it did feel kind of hard, but I picked up the other two, and their crops all felt the same, small bulge and firm. How should a crop feel? I want to check it in the AM and see if it is still hard.

Her feathers seem a little dull too. I will watch her closely tomorrow to see if she is passing poop.

I have them on organic grower feed that we switched over to a couple weeks ago. I have noted the weight loss the last couple days. When I pick up the BR and the RIR, the breast has some meat to it, not on the BO. I am not giving them grit, they free-range maybe 4 hours a day in my yard...the grass is kind of long though. Everyone's poop is looking normal, as in I see no bugs or worms. I dust the coop with DE about once a week.

Should I worm her? What should I use? Should I be giving them grit? Should I treat for cocci?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by