10-week old brahma gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by BWchicken, Oct 19, 2009.

1. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    I have a 10-week old buff brahma bantam that I'm not sure about. Sometimes I look at it and think 'hen' and other times I think it looks like a roo. Pea combs are new to me, so I'm not sure what to look for. What do you all think? Boy or Girl?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Looks like a hen to me.

3. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm certain that's a hen. [​IMG]

4. BWchicken

BWchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Texas
    Your responses have made me so happy. I really wanted her to be a hen! Thank you!

But how can you tell? I want to learn more about sexing pea combs!

5. Megs

Megs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    id say girl as well- very small light pink comb

6. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

She has very little redness in her face, for starters. Comb is very small. I see no indication of male plumage (saddles feathers, hackles feathers) and I'm not even going by comb. Her body shape is tight and reserved, again pointing out that roosters at her age BEGIN to have showy feathers and general male features. (Obviously it takes quite a few months to make a rooster look all rooster.) Her face has a typical Brahma hen look to it. Really, nothing at all screams 'rooster' to me, though bare in mind we've all had our share of last minute reverse gender. [​IMG] But I wouldn't count on it.

ETA: She looks like a younger version of my BBB too.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by