1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

10 week old buff orps

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PunkinPeep, Nov 13, 2009.

1. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I'm SO sorry i don't have pics, but please read anyway. [​IMG]

I went out to see my chickens, and two of my 10 week old buff orpington "pullets" suddenly are very red - their wattles are so red that i initially thought they were bleeding - i mean.......shockingly red. [​IMG]

I've raised buff orps before, and none of them were ever that red. Even when they were laying they were never THIS red.

And until they were getting cackling age, i never saw anything but a nice brilliant bright pink from the darkest ones.

Is it even possible for a pullet to be this red this early??????

Think i have some boys?

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I am deffinently no expert but I would think that they are boys. Mine didnt get red wattles until they were about to lay at 6-8 months but the boys were red after the first few months.

Im always getting roosters when they are supposed to be pullets. I ordered 25 pullets from Welp last spring and got 27 and 7 were boys.

3. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    Honestly, i'm kind of hoping that at least one of them is. We want to have a buff rooster, but pullets were what was available at the time. They're just so friendly and sweet. [​IMG]

4. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

I think you got Roos! My girls were much later than any of the other breeds I rised last year to get red combs.. They barely grew combs or wattles.

5. PunkinPeep

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ROOSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I sure hope so!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by