10 week old chick limping, panting: Updated for Day 2

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by EggithaChristie, Jul 25, 2014.

1. EggithaChristie

EggithaChristie In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Western Washington
    I am new to chicken keeping, and here's a first for me. One of my chicks, who I think is a rooster is limping, not wanting to walk. Usually he runs when I try to pick him up. He's eating and drinking still, and shows no signs of obvious injury. He's been panting a bit, even though it's warm but not hot outside. I read these could be signs of Maerk's. Is that normal to show in a very young, vaccinated chick. Should I worry? As a precaution, I put him in a dog crate in the house to keep him from moving too much and to separate him from the others, just in case. I hope I'm worried for nothing and he just strained a muscle. Advice please.
    UPDATED 2ND DAY: [​IMG]Photo of him in the crate. He hasn't moved much from this position. He can't put weight on his legs. His legs seem to be trembling a lot today, which I hadn't noticed before. I gave him a warm Epsom salt soak today, and he seemed to enjoy that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  2. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    You can give him some boiled egg, but he doesn't sound too bad.

3. EggithaChristie

EggithaChristie In the Brooder

Jul 21, 2014
    Western Washington
    Why does that help?

4. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Boiled egg is just good for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: